Thursday, February 11, 2010

I had a rare, productive day yesterday. I have been attempting to clean up the sewing room. It seems insurmountable most days. But yesterday I tried a new strategy. Pick one thing that can be done in one day. Did the sewing room get clean? Most certainly not. Did I accomplish something? A big something? Most certainly I did!
I bought this quilt top at a tag sale for $10.00! I had big plans for embellishments and outstanding freemotion quilting, etc, etc. Well, today it is lightly quilted and ready for a binding. A beautiful quilt is a finished quilt~

I also picked fabric from Harold's Quilt Shack to sew backs for these FOUR, yes, count them, FOUR quilt tops! I measured, cut, sewed and pressed them all in one day! Then I pressed the tops, and marked them all with sticky notes. Yay! Then I made the continuous binding tubes to match each one!

A simple rail fence, made just to have some fun with value.
Then a few years later, using the same color scheme and a simple pattern. I wanted to see if my use of value had matured any. I think it has. I picked fabrics with texture in mind, also I think the pattern itself was a fun way to add another dimension. I tried to be more subtle and sophisticated (so not a word associated with me).


These 2 plus one more not pictured, are giant Lone Stars, one of the classes I teach for BEGINNER QUILTERS! Yes, I am crazy enough to teach a beginner quilter how to sew a Lone Star quilt. It gets even crazier when I teach a room full of beginners at once! I do this periodically with my weekly sewing group. I am so confident that they can do it, that I promise to do a Lone Star top per week until the last student is done. needless to say, this means I have many Lone Star tops just hanging around, waiting to be quilted.
Now, the best part...
I am going to take these quilt tops to someone else to quilt! Yes, I am a good quilter. Yes, I have a Handi-quilter. Yes, I am a frugal (cheap) person. Yes, I am a control freak that likes to do it all myself.
I have to let all that go and "just do it". Once I got past that idea, I feel so relieved! This time next week or so, I will have 5 quilts FINISHED! phew.

No comments: