Friday, June 10, 2016

My Fair Lady

It's opening night! I can still see Kailin come on stage singing this song, in The Producers. The excitement builds, it's finally here! 
Tonight my little fair lady, Jessica, will be Eliza Doolittle. It's her first true leading role. Sure, she was Eponine in Les Miz and Johanna in Sweeney Todd, but....
She idolizes Julie Andrews. She has been watching My Fair Lady, the movie with Audrey Hepburn since she could talk. Along with other classic musicals from that era...Sound of Music, Music Man, etc. This is really a dream role for her. Plus, the costumes, oh my! Two extremely talented ladies have made custom gowns fit perfectly, just for her. Studio photography sessions, features in the local paper no less than THREE times. I'm gonna have to tie a string to her toe, to keep her on earth. 
Months of rehearsals, agonizing over forgotten lines and missed notes, she has worked quite hard for this. My absolute proudest moment was not when she flawlessly delivered that note at the end of "I Could've Danced All Night". No, it was actually a week or two ago, at the first dress rehearsal. 
The stage manager came to me and said how proud I must be. I said yes, of course I am. She then proceeded to tell me that Jessi was the most down to earth, humble leading lady she had worked with. She behaved as just another part of the team. When the director told me that her behavior and attitude were impeccable, well....that was the proudest moment. 
I have the job of making sure she gets zipped up into each gown as she goes from scene to lovely scene. Here are some shots from opening night, via her tiny dressing room. 

She received so many flowers she couldn't carry them all. 

LOVERLY. 










1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Brava, Jessica!