Friday, November 13, 2009

All Stars Retreat

Each year I leave in plenty of time, with the full intention of arriving at the All Star's Retreat on time like everyone else. But every year I get distracted and wander across and down the state, taking a new route each time, until I've wandered the day away and someone has to call and remind me where I'm supposed to be.
This year was no exception. I went to Dottie's house in Palatka to collect smoke and fire damaged fabric from her sewing room. Her river house burned about 3 weeks ago. I am going to try to save her stash. After bagging over 8 garbage bags full and stacking them in the Blazer, I decide to take the road less travelled.
I knew there was a place called Fort Gates Ferry on the St. Johns South of Palatka and North of SR40. I wondered if it might be an actual ferry. After turning off US17 and passing through Welaka on a nice little winding 2 lane I found a tiny sign that advised me to turn right to reach Fort Gates Ferry. Then the road just ended. At the river at the end of a travel trailer park with more permanent residents than visitors. The bait shop was closed with a sign on the door. "be right back". I wondered how long the sign had been dangling there.
After a while a lady came and sat on the first porch and asked if I wanted to cross. She yelled and the ferrymaster ambled along directly.


The ferry boasts a two car capacity, but it would have to be two small cars. I enjoyed the crossing, and when I drove off the ramp the ferryman was already pulling out for the return trip. I was headed west on a dirt road with no signs at all. So, being no stranger to dirt roads I took off. West would have to eventually cross US19 which runs North/South. It did. Eventually.

No comments: