Saturday, September 10, 2016

Abstract oils

So, I need a couple of pieces of art to go in the new house. I love abstracts, but cannot loosen up enough to paint abstracts that I like. I looked up some interesting techniques online, bought some canvases, and a cheap set of oil paints. I have never painted with oil so this should be quite entertaining. A friend said, "I hope you blog it." So here it is! 

After hours of thumbing through Pinterest, here are the things I have isolated as inspiration...
These two represent the shape of things to come. Tall and skinny, abstract, greyish. 


Now these three are a little more than shape. They represent (loosely) the subject matter. The sun, the water with possibly an object in it, and the foreground shoreline. I like the colors of the top and bottom one.....and less of the colors in he center one. Keep it loose, Julie. You're starting to tighten up, and you haven't even unwrapped the canvas. 
The top one is serene and the bottom two show more movement....what else before I get started? I think I'll go back and watch the three year old paint with cardboard again before I get up the nerve. 


No comments: