Friday, May 21, 2010

I found this bookshelf at the Salvation Army on Wednesday, which just happens to be 30% off day for furniture. Solid and sturdy, got it home and look on the back~ It's been signed by the maker, even has his phone number! If it was good enough for the maker to sign it, I should treat it with the respect it deserves! I want to make a dry bar for the sunroom to match these two pieces of furniture:
Which were not purchased together, nor do they match exactly. So to cover the back of the bookcase with something similar would work, don't ya think?
I shopped for some paintable wallpaper with a basketweave texture. The texture is too small and it runs up and down as opposed to diagonal. No prob, I'll just paste it on diagonally. A couple of small pieces of trim and I'm off!
I paint a solid coat of yellow ochre.Then a 'wash' of raw sienna, blending it in while the yellow ochre is still damp.
After a coat of varnish I paint a coat of burnt umber, then use a damp sponge to pull most of it back off, leaving the dark brown in the cracks and crevices of the basketweave.
I want it to look old and worn so this part is very uneven. Another nice coat of varnish. Paint the trim to match the shelf. The hardest part for me is to wait for each stage to dry, I'm so impatient!
Add the trim and a baseboard at the bottom.
Stock it with drinks and mixers and music and... Wall-AH! A dry bar! (without alcohol, I do have teenagers, ya know!)

Very pretty.













No comments: