Friday, May 21, 2010

Sarasota

I went to Sarasota, Florida to the Friendship Knot Quilt Guild and taught this class, the bleach discharge class and presented my 'clothesline' trunkshow. I have been through Sarasota, but never stopped there to take a look around. What a beautiful little city! Very chic, sophisticated and (my favorite) artsy. It didn't hurt that I got a driving tour of the area with my hostess, Ellen Simon, who just happens to be chic, sophisticated and artsy!
I came to her shop on my last day. I wish I had taken the time to go there first! I fell in love! The Coastal Quilter is located in the "Village of the Arts" in Bradenton, FL, in a little cottage on a quiet street.
As you can see, it's more gallery than shop. As you come into what was once the main living area the long arm quilter takes up much of the space on the right. But that leaves all that wall space for art quilts!
The small fireplace and mantle on the left are covered with several different mediums, including pottery from Ellen's husband, Len. This picture was taken after I purchased 3 fabulous pieces of that lovely pottery! The dark green and purple piece in the foreground is one of Ellen's pieces made with beautiful silk ties. She also has some nice easy piecing patterns called 'Simple Simon'. Very clever.
This is one of Len's first fiber art pieces. I like it!
I also partook of some of the lovely fabrics the Coastal Quilter has to offer, some banana colored batik, and a couple of nice greens. I would highly recommend a visit if you are in the area, such a wonderful shop.






No comments: