Thursday, May 6, 2010

The 'real' Crandall Pasture

(Photos stolen, err...courtesy of Lee Parker)
Just before you get to the Georgia state line there is a place called Crandall Pasture. My Granddad brought his family here in 1944. Grannie had a general store at corner of Crandall road and US17, way before Interstate 95 ever came through. Parker Road now begins at that same intersection.
When Daddy and Mama got married they lived in this little house until they built their own. It had one room plus a bathroom. The kitchen was in the back and the bed/living area in the front. My uncle still uses it to house an old tractor and some lumber.

Almost all of my nature and landscape quilts are inspired by Crandall Pasture. If you saw the quilt I had in the Florida Museum of Natural History you might think these photos pretty familiar.


This cedar tree right beside the boat ramp might still have my initials carved into it's trunk.
This nice flat cleared spot was once a very long time ago part of the town of Crandall. It had a general store, church and school, a sawmill and post office. Here's one of the nicer houses (taken from one of my favorite local history books).
And here's one that I remember, Preston Nix was a friend of my Dad's.

Another trailhead, this one headed into McQueen's Swamp.
Hope you've enjoyed the virtual tour. These pictures can't even come close to the real beauty of Crandall Pasture for me. That may be because I have a lifetime of memories that accompany me through every trail and down every road.

No comments: