Thursday, December 1, 2011

More Apron Art

Well, I did it. I painted 8, yes count them, 8 aprons in 5 days. I was asked if I could paint 7 before Monday, on Friday. I thought long and hard about it...could I actually do that? I said I thought I could but I would have to go to work right away.
Thank goodness they didn't show up until Wednesday, so I had an extra 2 days, but also an extra apron for a total of 8. The last one I painted was a repeat of the "First" slogan. If you look back at the first set of aprons, you'll notice the differences between this week and last. I was under a LOT of pressure, and to me it shows in the lack of details.

I was also out of ideas for things that represent Yulee, so I simply expanded the perimeter of  'our area'. We are right in the middle of Mayport, NAS Jax, and Kings Bay naval bases. Many of our customers are military. I sketched this out and, Alan from the paint department helped paint it.
The pirate ship from last time was a little on the cutesy side. This pirate ship looks ominous and was super simple to paint.
The flamingos were actually done first. I have always wanted to paint flamingos, and they were fun. They have rhinestone eyes that sparkle. Yes, I know we don't see too many flamingos in Yulee. Go to the zoo, they're right there!
Another quilt pattern turned into an apron. Again, just looking for subjects I can finish with a quickness.
I'm getting short on time and short on ideas, I've worked 3 ten hour days. I have a list of ideas from other associates drifting in and out watching me paint. But what can be done quickly? What represents our area? Duh. They are executives...coming to Florida.....GOLF of course.
And if you don't golf, you might like a nice bass fishing excursion!
And those don't appeal to you, we'll do the work and you can just enjoy a big plate of fried shrimp!
Without listing all the details that I would have added, if I had more time, I still think they're not bad.
The executives came and walked the store up one side and down the other and couldn't find a single thing wrong. We were the last of THREE stores in the running for the National Gold Cup. We won't know until Monday if we win or not. Stay tuned!

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

I hope you win. But three 10-hour days in a row sounds like an awful lot. I hope it's a win-win, and I hope you are looking out for number one.

E.

The Thimblemouse of Country Crossroads said...

I love ALL the aprons....but have to say the Flamingo is my favorite! Good Job Julie...makes me wanna start painting again!

Cheezdoodle said...

Why thank you Ma'am! It was more painting than I have done in a very long time!