Thursday, November 20, 2014

While I was away...

In February my best friend and her hubby came in to The Home Depot where I work. She was down a little, I asked her what gives? She said she was having some health issues, and wasn't sure what was going on....

In Late March she called me to meet for coffee. The news was bad, she was upset, I was upset, we prayed, and talked about possibilities. She was scheduled for surgery just 4 days later. 

That afternoon, the surgeon came in and explained that they had removed 4 tumors, the largest bigger than a grapefruit, along with a full hysterectomy. There would be very aggressive chemo, and a devastating prognosis. The average lifespan of someone with her diagnosis is 3-5 years with successful treatment. 

The first chemo hit her like a locomotive, sent her reeling back into the hospital for blood transfusions. In the meantime, her youngest daughter is pregnant and her oldest is just a month or two from her bachelors degree. She is doing her best to be strong and able at this time, so her family can keep functioning around her. 

Her battle was difficult but short. My best friend, since the 3rd grade Brownie Troop, passed away on July 22, 2014. 

So many things go through my mind, stories I could tell you that would relay just how much we loved one another. But to be honest I am holding it all close to my heart, don't want to share her, so sad that she is gone from me. 

Her first grandchild was born last week, her namesake. I thought I would not get through the first visit without bawling, but I did. Not a single tear. I held her and talked to her, and she was precious. She has her grandmother's nose and hopefully lots of other traits. 

I will miss my friend. 

No comments: