Wednesday, January 4, 2012

Happy New Year!

Now is the time for all good bloggers to tell what they plan on for the new year. Resolutions. resolving to do something better, different, new. Lose more, spend less, be nicer or maybe become more assertive.
Say no more. or yes. I don't think anyone resolves to say maybe more.
I don't make resolutions, but maybe because everyone is on that kick this time of year, I take stock of where I am and what I'm about, look over the last 12 months and try to evaluate if I did good. I try real hard to keep it simple. I have simplified a lot the past year. That was harder than I thought it would be, but it's done. I am serving on only one committee at church, and none at any quilt guild (for the first time in over 10 years), and I am not a member of my husband's choir, though I fill in gladly when needed.
 I have managed to NOT volunteer a lot! You wouldn't believe how hard it is to NOT raise your hand when you know 1. You could do that job, 2. You would be very good at it, and 3. No one else immediately raises their hand. If I haven't learned anything else, I have learned to at least wait and think about it more before diving in.
I have decided to take care of a nagging issue. My uglies. You know those projects you start and they don't turn out the way you want them to, so you put them away, hoping that when you pull them out again they won't seem so ugly. Well, they can be depressing if they build up in numbers. Then you dedicate a box or basket or a tub to storing them. Then when you open that tub they attack you with their ugliness. It only seems that I add to, never subtract from that tub.
I am tired of having a box of uglies weighing me down, making my happy place not so happy. I have resolved to do something about them. I am going to finish them off!
I am going to reach into that box and fearlessly grab the top ugly and finish it off! I am not proud of this behavior, but something must be done. They will not be treated with the respect that I would give a more docile project, you know the ones that behave themselves and become something beautiful. I will finish them in whatever way gets them done and out of that tub! They WILL become finished projects!
Here is Ugly #1
This is nothing at all like the original plan. Not even like anything I normally do.
 BUT IT IS FINISHED! YAY!

1 comment:

Sunnie said...

"Uglies" is a great UFO category!
I believe you have hit on the correct way to work...the random grab. Giving an item any thought at all will just land it back in the box.
Go for it!
(and really, it's fun to have some projects that don't have that high personal-involvement issue!)