Tuesday, August 24, 2010

Rattlesnake Jimmy

Okay, you'll just have to go with what I remember on this one, as I can't find any resource with any trace of Rattlesnake Jimmy. I won't vouch for anything here being factual, but as I remember it Jimmy was a wiry little black man that lived in the dunes near (or in) Fort Clinch. Seems like he may have been there before the fort was made into a state park, so when the state opened it as a park in the 1930's he was left alone. He had a thatch hut, of sorts and was known to house rattlesnakes there! He loved the snakes and would capture them for folk who thought they were a nuisance and keep them as pets!?!?
I'm pretty sure he remained there until his death in the 1950's.
I will find the information on Jimmy, but it will take a little more time and the ball seems to be rolling on this local lore thread. Maybe we'll revisit him before all is said and done.
Next up we'll look at some of the buildings of the Historic district and their uses over the years.

No comments: