Wednesday, August 4, 2010

What is best?

It occurred to me, as I was finding a place for my shrinking collection of 'all purpose thread' in my sewing space, that my best work did not happen because I was using the best materials. I did not have $8 per spool thread, hand dyed high dollar fabric or a machine that cost the equivalent of a car.
My best work happened when I was inspired, no... driven to create. I had a desire to fling fabric off the shelf until I came across the right one, digging through and using what was there. When the perfect one wasn't readily available, I improvised until it fit anyway! I used all purpose thread and a Brother that came from a discount store for a couple hundred dollars. My best work had nothing at all to do with the quality of materials that were used in it!
I now have a nice machine (or two), an entire shelf devoted to King Tut Superior Thread and more than a couple stacks of pretty expensive fabric. Where I used to sew at the dining room table, I now have an entire room (plus other parts of the house) devoted to nothing but making pretty things with fabric.
All of these things feel like weights to me. The cost of all the supplies make it an obligation to produce. My best work comes to me when I throw caution to the wind and have a devil may care attitude, almost in defiance of fancy thread and a good machine. In short, I work best under pressure. Take away the pressure and I go flat!
hmm...

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

A few things to consider:

You honor the materials by using them.

It's all cumulative, and it all counts.

There's nothing wrong with a diverse neighborhood: Play with the humbler stuff, and bring in the classier stuff when the mood strikes you.

Play. Pick just two pieces of fabric that you like and sew them together. Make yourself stand in your sewing room, look around, and refrain from sewing. How long can you resist? Then give in! Yay!

Give yourself permission to do the sewing equivalent of doodling.

Elizabeth

Cheezdoodle said...

doodling I can do!

Sunnie said...

Good advice from E.!
Stop thinking about how much the supplies cost and jump right in.
You have upgraded your materials...the work will imporove for that, but the process is the same.
Remind yourself that you ARE worthy of using good supplies.
Besides, they're paid for, so now they are FREE to use!